We’ve all made cliched New Year’s resolutions. We’re going to eat better, lose weight, exercise, the list of things we want to do better is endless. It’s always good to take stock of our lives and resolve to change some things for the better or things to stop doing at all. We can do the same with our professional lives as well. While we are technically in the middle of the school year, the new calendar year is a great opportunity for a fresh start, the perfect time to change things up so the second semester is better and more fulfilling for everyone. I’m sure you’ve reflected on the things that worked last semester, the things that didn’t, and you’ve already got some New Year’s resolutions for school too. Here are some resolutions you might want to add to your list.
- Remember why you became a teacher/administrator. Remembering your drive and passion for the job can help you stay focused and positive
- Don’t sweat the small stuff, seriously, just don’t
- Don’t be so hard on yourself, you don’t need to be perfect, you just need to do your best
- Be flexible, being able to flex can save the day, see the first three bullets
- Share the good with your colleagues more than you complain
- Look for teachable moments and run with them
- Work smarter not harder. Look at ways to streamline things
- Embrace technology. If you have a love-hate relationship with tech, ask a friend for help
- Take those dirty coffee cups home every night. There’s nothing worse than taking a big drink only to find it’s last week’s coffee, seriously, YUCK
- Set small goals instead of looking at EVERYTHING at once and freaking out
- Get organized. It will save you so much time and anxiety if you have a place for everything
- Use your calendar so you’ll never miss a deadline
- Make lists and check off things as you finish, It’s so good to see progress
- Set boundaries. You don’t have to say yes to everything you’re asked to do
- Refresh your space. Add a new picture, rearrange the furniture, make it more efficient
- Ask for help
Happy New Year! You have 365 new days ahead of you. Some of those days will bring challenges, some will bring great satisfaction and joy. Each new day is filled with possibilities to make a difference for those around you, to change the world, or just change your little corner of it. Set your goals, pick your resolutions and go out there and make this a great year!
Teia Hoover Baker is an educator, published author, and entrepreneur. She is an innovative, devoted educator whose career has been dedicated to coordinating programs that support struggling learners. Her passion is meeting students where they are and guiding them to excel. Her main focus is always what is best for children. Teia holds a Bachelor’s in Journalism and a Master’s of Education. In her spare time, she enjoys being Lovie to her growing grandchildren.